Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

How to Live Forever

“Well,
not every experiment works.

We try and learn from the stuff
that doesn’t work as well.

Not everyone can discover penicillin,
you know.

So,
even though you still
have not unlocked
the mystery of mortality
perhaps,
you amused  yourself,
and that’s something.

The captain said
“the reward is in the doing,

and if that’s not the truth,
then you
better find something else
to do.”

Whatever you’ve got
in front of you,
lowly and modest
though it be,

experience it,
live it,
inhale it,
jump in it
and splash about
and from that

make something
that will outlast you:

the best would be
if you made
your life
a glorious gift,

freely given
to everyone.

It would be
so beautiful,

that your love would
outlast you,
outlive you,

and that’s’ how
you live
forever.”

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:27 PM

    Yes, yes, yes! I'd stand up and applaud, but I'd need my cane for that, and it's in the other room. Live forever by being a gift in the now. Beautiful and well executed.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ADORE this. The verses and line breaks are wonderful and I'm in agreement with the sentiment of this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is this captain? A wise one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes... the only way we can do it... reminds me of a quote from Havamal...


    Deyr fé,
    deyja frændr,
    deyr sjálfr et sama;
    ek veit einn,
    at aldri deyr:
    dómr um dauðan hvern.

    or:

    Cattle die,
    kinsmen die
    you yourself die;
    I know one thing
    which never dies:
    the judgment of a dead man's life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "freely given
    to everyone".... that's good advice - very nice Buddah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed!!! for me this is the most awesome verse

    "that your love would
    outlast you,
    outlive you,"

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have added the links to this poem on my List of Favourites

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the sound advice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so long as I live through the next 4 years....
    sound advice, good sir ~

    ReplyDelete