Pages

Monday, April 04, 2016

I Almost Walked Away

There was a melody,
a sad, plaintive tune
that I followed
all my life,

and it brought me
to the doorstep
of the true love
I thought lived there,

but when the door
opened,
you weren't there
and I thought
I'd made a mistake

and I almost walked away

but I could smell
something warm
simmering
in the kitchen,

and she invited me in
and we sat
on the couch,
disregarding boundaries,

time melted and
years fell away,
and I found myself
17 again,

and she told me
all the ways
I was told
I was wrong
were wrong indeed,

and though
I'd never been
there before,
everything fit
as though it were
custom made for me,

so I stopped searching
for you
when I found her,

and,
if you're still waiting,
sorry,
but I'm off
the market now.

9 comments:

  1. I think this is wonderful, I think I need to show it to a friend who keeps passing on opportunities for relationships because they don't seem perfect immediately :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:06 PM

    Wow! A life lesson for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still wonder about the one who got away. Sounds like you don't ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:08 PM

    Swap the genders and this could have been my life.... Sometimes I look back and say "what if" about the fantasy, especially when my husband does something really annoying or stupid. But then I think, "yeah, but Instead of being insecure about the guy who would not have looked twice at me, I have a guy who mopped the upstairs hallway the time I had food poisoning and was projectile vomiting and couldn't get to the bathroom fast enough. So take that fantasy rock star! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, such a lesson on who we think is right and who is the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. Wow. The twist and turns are a delight to read, the meaning a thought worth pondering. Who is right, who is wrong. It's hard to tell, yet hard to regret too.

    @rosemawrites from
    A Reading Writer

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous. I think at times we have this vision of what our perfect love looks like and a lot of times we're wrong. It just takes so long to figure it out for a lot of us though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is magical in its twists. Love hates to follow rules...

    ReplyDelete