Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

Distrust

The believers
with blind faith
intimidate me
with their confidence.

I’ve been
too wrong
too many times,
too many ways,
to trust anything
too much.

Trusting little
helps keep the bar
low,
diminishing
the sting of
disappointment
when gravity
predictably prevails,
and betrayal
descends upon me
like a sandbag from the
rafters.

I trust God
only because
I don’t know God
very much,
except that
He can be vindictive,
so I try to keep
a civil tongue in my head
when praying.

As the days
collect around my feet
like crunching, dusty leaves,
distrust gives way
to certainty,
as I make preparations
for that inevitable
final visitor.

3 comments:

  1. I Like The Days As Leaves Image. Cool Poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my. THIS:
    "As the days
    collect around my feet
    like crunching, dusty leaves"

    Gorgeous. Or as you would say, brill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well crafted, this. Especially liked the part about the sandbag from the rafters, and the praying with a civil tongue. Excellent, my friend.

    ReplyDelete