Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Weenie-Reeto!

Growing up
my mom used to 
cook leftovers and 
roll them into 
warm flour tortillas
to make burritos
out of anything
and everything.

It didn't have to be 
refried beans or rice,
it could be scrambled eggs
and bacon 
or chili colorado.

She wasn't prejudiced,
food was food.

So, here's my contribution
to the canon of Mexican cuisine:

take one 
all-American hot dog
(the higher the fat content,
the more American)
and microwave it 
for 30 seconds
on a paper towel,

and while that's cooking,
heat over an open flame
one authentic
made-with-lard 
flour tortilla,
and allow it to burn
just a little bit 
like Grandma Trini used to,
and then say 
“the burned part 
is good for you,”

next, unwrap a slice
of American cheese 
and place it 
on the tortilla,
top with the hot dog 
and zap it another 
30 seconds,

then squirt it with
a line of ketchup
(or catsup),

 and roll it up
(don’t forget 
to tuck the bottom in, 
a rookie mistake)

and presto,
you have a weenie-reeto!

The perfect 
all-American snack 
for hungry 
culturally-assimilated 
Mexicans
everywhere!

Es delicioso!

[Posted for #OpenLinkNight at www.dversepoets.com where my poetry vatos rock it weakly, but not weekly!  Orale, vamanos!]

23 comments:

  1. dude...makin one when i get home...you know what my mom used to do with leftovers....she sliced the weenie to make a pocket and stuffed it with mashed potatoes and then put cheese on top...seriously its pretty good...the burned part is good for you...ha...heard that...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the stuffed weenie sounds great!

      Delete
  2. Love that - don't have to be Latino to have grown up on Mexican food - all us Texicans know that! Thanks for the receipt, as my grandmother would have said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texican is just a little letter away from Mexican! Thanks.

      Delete
  3. This made me laugh, Mosk!! I'd pass though. I haven't had a hot dog in perhaps 20 years. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't eat 'em either, but they taste so good, and ya gotta die from something! Thanks.

      Delete
  4. ha nice...i LOVE burritos...and it's good not being too prejudiced when it comes to food...there are some pretty cool leftover meals...yum...i'm getting hungry...smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have burritos where you are? When I was kid they were still novelties to the non-Mexican world. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I haven't had breakfast yet, but now I'm really hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, a weenie-reeto is the perfect food!

      Delete
  6. A weenie-reeto, genius! Wish I had read this while I was in college!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm sure you have your own go-to recipes in a pinch!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous3:04 AM

    Never cared much for Mexican food...but I love the attention and love you give this, Moskaroo! ~jackie~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up on Mexican food, and still love it. Might have some for lunch. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. This made me hungry. "She wasn't prejudiced, food was food," yet it sounds like she could make a great meal "out of anything and everything" - that's a real talent. Sounds like you got it, too, Mosk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She used to mix some really unusual foods together in a skillet, bind them together with egg and slap it into a burrito. I esp didn't like the pork chop-onion-green bean egg burrito, but my Pop did. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. When I was trying to lose a large portion of my fat ass, I was eliminating bread and rolling my dogs in tortillas, unbeknownst that I had slipped into International Cuisine! And the burnt parts are good for you! Thanks for this Buddah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a lifetime member of the Underheight Club, I always obsess over my weight, but a weenie-reeto is comfort food (as most food is). Thanks.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous7:36 AM

    I gave up wieners years ago, but upon reading your recipe I'll be smoked if I can't smell hotdogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and burnt tortillas too, I hope! Thanks.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous2:56 PM

    OK. You got me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:44 AM

    third time's a charm? comment keeps getting gobbled up.

    yours beats my peanut butter jelly and mayo burrito

    ReplyDelete
  13. We don't eat hot dogs but do love Mexican/Tex-Mex. After visiting Texas two year ago, my daughter gets hungry for breakfast tacos, chicken fahitas, and quesadillas. Weird thing is...we can buy tortillas at the store (yeah, they're packaged and not as good as homemade) but we don't know any other German's who buy.

    I love these lines:

    and roll it up
    (don’t forget
    to tuck the bottom in,
    a rookie mistake)

    ReplyDelete