Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Rachel (2003)

Rachel
came into my life
with softly suspicious eyes.

Sadly
I was only there
for the last moments
of her girlhood
because
in the blink
of an eye
she stretched out
and her soul
deepened,

and I now see her
curiously
peering into adult
ponds
and sneaking in her
toe,

but just when
I think she is
growing out of
my grasp

she quietly
reverts
temporarily
to the unsure
faun on the frozen lake
and
she curls up on
her
Pop-O

and she silently
drapes herself
over my shoulders
quietly
resting,

knowing that
I don’t require her
to be
sophisticated
trendy or grown-up.

She knows
she can be
quiet and uncertain
or even goofy
and that I will
take care of
things

for now.

The next time I
blink she’ll be
all grown up

too smart and
pretty for her own
good
with a heart
still growing

but I never fear
losing her
for she is deep in
my soul

at 11
she is already
one of the finest
people I will ever
know,

and with that
bright yellow hair
and friendly wide
smile
and soft kind eyes

she will eclipse
even the sun.

3 comments:

  1. smiles...i hope you let her read this...as our kids need to hear these things from us...what we see in them...who they are....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. My daughter just turned 15 and this poem is so fitting of our relationship.

    I enjoyed this one very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rae was 11 when I wrote this. She'll be 21 in November. Cherish these teen years - they're faster than a blink.

      Delete