Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

Off-White

In pictures with Browns
I look White,
and in pictures of Whites
I look Brown.

Torn between two cultures
feeling like un tonto.

I grew up watching
the Brady Bunch
but listening
to Cheech and Chong.

When I caught a cold
I learned that chicken soup
is ok,
but menudo with
freshly ground oregano
worked better for me,

and a tricked out
Chevy lowrider
beat an SUV
hands down for me.

Pride in my heritage
didn’t start
with achievements or icons,
it started
when I was
no longer embarrassed
that I wasn’t
something else.

Not quite White
Not quite Brown:

Proudly, defiantly

Off-White.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you got there. Kudos. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. learning to be comfortable in ones own skin...and no longer embarassed...that is a huge threshold in life....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, now I'm gonna be hearing War's "Low Rider" in my head all day! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little more color makes the world more interesting. Oh, thanks, FB-now I'm gonna have an earworm too!

    ReplyDelete