Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Defined by My Weaknesses

Alcoholic.
Adulterer.
Liar.
Obese.

These self-imposed epithets
create the boundaries
of my self-concept.

I cannot drink
or sleep around
or tell a lie
or overeat.

I am kept on the
paths of sobriety
fidelity
integrity and
satiety
by these labels
and by the knowledge
that a thousand prurient eyes
and the possibility
of a chorus of
sadly clucking tongues
are all waiting for
my eventual failure.

So,
for those of you
keeping score:

alcohol-
23 and a half years

adultery-
not since I found the
one that would
wear my ring

lying –
would you even believe me?

obese –
I have to diet
to be considered
"just" overweight,

and for those of you
waiting for my
inevitable failure:

I’ll concede to you
the diet
but everything else
I keep close
like a scar
on my face,
so I’ll never forget
or get lazy
or slouch back
into the darkness.

4 comments:

  1. keep close like a scar on my face....for the world to see...so i dont get lazy...its best to keep it all above board...that is for sure...smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your constant readership and encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Powerful write, Mosk, and a hell of a lot to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete