Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

A Fatherly Perspective


My brothers in Christ
tell me of the lost souls
who have not accepted
and will be separated from the Father,
damned for Eternity.

I realize that is
a brotherly perspective.

In many human families,
children vie for the loving attention
and protective embrace of the father,

thinking
if they do the right things
if they say the right things,
they will be favored.

Since becoming a father
I can report that
and each of my children has
betrayed me
disappointed me
and saddened my heart with their actions,
some intentional,
some incidental.

However,
I do not
and I cannot
love them any the less for their
shortcomings
ignorance
or meaningless noisy rebellion,

and I welcome their return
even if it takes
years.

I realize this is
a fatherly perspective,

and this is very good news
indeed.

5 comments:

  1. Heartwarmingly blasphemous... I really liked this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. And love that you never separate fatherhood with any needless "steps." Dadhood is dadhood, and it looks to me like you're rocking it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To any parent this hits close to home! Reminds me of the George Strait song...'its a love without end amen'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you, Mosk! And share your perspective when it comes to one's children.

    ReplyDelete